Sunday, May 2, 2010

La Peruana

My wife and I have attended a Spanish ward ever since we were married. I enjoy speaking with the Chilenos, Peruanos, Bolivianos, Argentinos, Hondurenos and everyone else. Ward parties are a lot of fun because of all the different cultures and foods. ANYWAY, in church last week, the bishop announced 3 new families that are new to the ward. Well one of the wives of a young married couple stood up and I recognized her! I couldnt remember exactly where she was from or where I had met her until the bishop read her name. Doris! Then it jumped into my head, her maiden name was ORTEGA. She served in my mission as a mini missionary for 6 weeks when we had an odd number of sisters. I flipped out! As soon as sacrament was over,I went and talked to her. It was so funny! Such a small world. Pres. Weston had me interview her when I was an AP and talk to her stake pres in Maranga to make sure she would be a good candidate to serve in our mission for 6 weeks. I went to her house and explained the situation to her mom and gave her mom the missions number to call if she needed anything from her daughter for the next 6 weeks. For 6 weeks she was one of our sisters. Pres Weston always worried for the sisters because of the dangerous areas they were sometimes in.
They look like a great couple that will help the ward and I am excited for some comida peruana! Lomo saltado, lengua de vaca, papa a la huancaina, pollo a la braza, milanesa, cuy!

No comments: